Being asthmatic is something that impacts every aspect of life. From doing housework to working out, moving air in an out of the lungs is difficult with asthma. When not controlled, it can become a potentially serious and even life-threatening disease. Unfortunately, there isn’t currently a cure for this life-altering disease, but there are ways to manage it allowing for a healthy, active life. The American Lung Association offers these six steps for managing asthma for a better quality life:
- Make the most of your medical visits by asking questions about asthma management and treatment.
- Create an asthma management plan. Work with your doctor to include key information about managing your asthma.
- Keep track of symptoms to help you stay in control. Keeping a journal of asthma symptoms such as coughing, chest tightness, wheezing, activity limitation, and fatigue will help you and your healthcare provider determine if your treatment plan is working or could use some adjustments.
- Understand your medication and how it works best to treat your asthma. It is important to take it as directed by your medical provider.
- Reduce asthma triggers by limiting or avoiding exposure.
- Learn asthma self-management skills. The American Lung Association offers an asthma basic online course to help asthma patients live a better quality life.
Although asthma is a chronic condition, it shouldn’t interfere with life. Contact Fort Smith Medical & Janitorial Supply today for at home and medical office supplies, 800.632.7876.
Cover Photo by Emma Simpson on Unsplash